experiences

Where Should I Go This Year?

I’ve never been in this situation. I may not have to make additional mileage runs this year!

I’m only going for status on US Airways this year and thanks to having trips almost every weekend for the last 3 months, including  the Ring of Kerry, Dublin, and Vienna, I’m going to end April with about 75,000 eqms. Accounting for “normal” travel, I probably won’t need to be making runs out to the West Coast or Alaska just to accrue miles.

This leaves me with free weekends and a bit more discretionary income to go to places in North America based solely on interest without regard for elite qualifying miles.

So where should I go?

Where in the US

I won’t have extra vacation time, so limited to weekend trips. A few things/places I’ve thought of:

• Prince Edward Island
  • Taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver
  • St Louis to see the pirate ship under the Arch
  • Driving down the Florida Keys in a convertible (never been)

Recommendations from readers for past trips have helped me discover sites I would never have thought of, so I can’t wait to hear your ideas!

——–

Don’t miss out on any of Jeanne & Keri’s adventures and tips. Follow us:

1. Nick

April 17, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Austin, Tx

2. Denny

April 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Driving down through the Keys is amazing, better yet, let someone else drive so you can look at the beauty. Although I’ve personally never done it, I’ve always wanted to drive the Pacific Coast Highway from L.A. to San Francisco.

April 17, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Some friends and I rented a convertible years ago and drove from Long Beach to San Francisco along Hwy 1 in about 36 hours. It was amazing, but a little rushed. Good tip on the Keys!

3. Freckles

April 17, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Québec City! Historical, beautiful, and few places in the “new world” are like it! It feels like you’ve been dropped into the middle of Europe. It’s a very walkable city and truly beautiful. I visited QC a few years ago and managed to get a 4 star hotel for $55/night (it was April, when it’s still winter in QC).

While the Badlands (South Dakota) aren’t for everyone, I’ve always enjoyed my time there. Team it up with a trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone.

The Outer Banks of North Carolina – I’m particularly fond of Nag’s Head, but the neighboring area of Kitty Hawk is great, especially if you’ve ever wanted to try hang-gliding! (You learn to soar off the dunes, next to where the Wright Brothers first flew their airplane.)

4. Amanda S

April 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Asheville, NC. Food, beer, and great scenery. One of my favorite spots in the US.

April 17, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Oooh! I love Asheville and haven’t been in a decade. Who’s interested in a review of the Biltmore? 🙂

5. Tulio Anzola

April 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Second the Ashville suggestion (was there last month but go for the Waterfalls (many are within an hour drive) instead of the Biltmore http://www.romanticasheville.com/waterfalls.htm )

6. PainCorp

April 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Quick trips to Sin City are always fun, but limiting to weekends makes it expensive.

You could (ugh, can’t believe I’m suggesting this) do a day at one of the Disney Parks, or visit Harry Potter Land. I can’t wait to try Butterbeer!

7. Joey

April 17, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Drive down the Keys in a convertible!!!

8. P T

April 17, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Yellowstone National Park

9. Wendy

April 17, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I vote for glacier national park. one of the things I’ve done on the past is put a 250 mile and 500 mile radius on a map. Then close your eyes and point to a spot on the map. These are places you can drive to visit in a weekend. The 250 mile radius in a regular weekend and the 500 mile radius for a holiday weekend.

10. rahul

April 17, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Central Oregon/Coast. You have great little cities with fabulous ocean views, great summer fruits that you can’t get outside of Oregon normally,have you tried fresh marion or goose berries before? Excellent wines, need I say more. Oh yeah and Ashland if you’re into Shakespeare.

11. Paula Johnson Hamblen

Paula Johnson Hamblen

April 17, 2014 at 8:15 pm

New England

April 17, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I’ve never been to Maine or to Cape Cod!