How to Make the Most of Spirit’s 99% Off Sale
For many, even a 99% off sale is not enough to make you want to fly Spirit Airlines (just like Frontier’s $1 fare sale). One, because it’s Spirit Airlines. Two, because after you get done paying all the fees, it won’t be a bargain.
But, if you follow Tiff’s tips, you can avoid unexpected fees and lock in the savings!
The 99% Off Flights Sale
Here are the key things to note:
- Must be booked online by midnight tonight (September 22) not valid for tickets purchased at an airport.
- Travel must be on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Valid travel dates are September 29-November 11 and December 2-16.
- The 99% discount is only on the base fare, you’ll still have to pay taxes, security, DOT and other fees.
- Certain routes are excluded, so check before trying to price out your itinerary.
To book, use code 99PCT.
Minimizing Additional Spirit Airline Fees
I recommend reading Tiff’s Everything You Need to Know About Spirit Airlines guide to fully understand what the experience will be like, but here are the highlights:
- Spirit charges for carryon bags, but you are allowed one personal item for free. That item must be smaller than 16 inches by 14 inches by 12 inches. So to get the most space out of your free personal item on Spirit, use a backpack or duffel bag without wheels or handle and put your purse or laptop bag inside.
- Checked bags are cheaper than carryon, so plan to check. And the price goes up the closer you get to your flight, so pay for your checked bag online at least 24 hours in advance.
- You have to pay for assigned seats. You might be assigned seats in advance without paying, but *if* it happens, you’ll probably be in the back of the flight.
- Print your boarding passes at home, Spirit charges you to print them at the airport counter.
And if you really want to learn how to fly Spirit like an expert, you can check out all Tiff’s articles:
- Spirit May Not Be the Evil Empire After All (and the $9 fare club)
- What Happens if I Miss My Flight on Spirit
- Do You Have to Pay to Upgrade Every Leg on a Spirit Flight
- When Does it NOT Make Sense to Use Spirit Airlines “Fast Bag Drop” Line?
- Why the Aisle & Window Seat Trick Won’t Work on Spirit Airlines
- How Much Legroom Do You Really Have on Spirit Airlines?
- Early Boarding Privileges When Purchasing a Carry-On Bag
Full Disclosure: I may receive affiliate credit from links in this post or on this site which will help fund my travels. Thank you for your support!