Airlines

Surprise! United Offering Complimentary Status Upgrades to Some Elites

Reader AH shared last night that United emailed him with the news he’d been upgraded from Gold to Platinum Premier status for free through January 2017.

No membership card would be mailed (though it is visible in the United app) and he’d have to qualify for Platinum through spend and travel to earn RDU’s. Still, that’s a pretty awesome surprise having flown only 16,000 miles so far for the year on a status challenge.

United complimentary premier status upgrade

Not only does the higher status give you a better chance at upgrades, you also earn an extra award mile per fare dollar, cheaper same day flight changes, and better award ticket availability. So if you’re a United Elite, check your account to see if you’re one of the lucky ones!

Anyone else get a status upgrade?

1. Nick

May 12, 2016 at 3:05 am

Eh it’s still United and they don’t get it yet.

2. Scott

May 12, 2016 at 3:54 am

i got one and it is a nice surprise. First is always better than coach, no matter the airline. It is a shame that AUS-LAX has moved back to regional jets. It was nice for awhile.

3. Tabitha

May 12, 2016 at 4:26 am

I did!! Got bumped from silver to gold. Woot! Thinking of celebrating with a fun little trip somewhere!

4. TI

May 12, 2016 at 5:29 am

I went up a status rung and wonder how much higher are my chances of getting an upgrade if everyone else also got a status bump.

5. Mauricio

May 12, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I got the bump from Platinum to 1K!, no global premier upgrade vouchers issued, but still a great treat.

6. Jeremy H.

May 12, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I did too! They gave me Silver even though I haven’t flown United at all this year (was Silver last year).