Uncategorized

Forgetting a Gun In Your Carry On Will Now Cost You $100K

Perhaps the TSA is looking for new funding sources? Starting June 1, even passengers with carry permits will face charges up to $100,000 and a year in prison or more if they forget they have a gun when going through TSA security.

Via 11 Alive in Atlanta:

Up until now, the interpretation of that law has been that it’s not a crime to accidentally bring a gun to the TSA checkpoints. The agents could turn a gun-toting person away and tell the person to secure the gun in a car or in luggage.

More than 2,600 people were caught with guns in their carry ons last year. Passengers in Dallas Fort Worth, Atlanta, Houston, Denver, and Phoenix should take special note, as those airports had the most gun “discoveries” last year.

If you want to travel with your firearm, it must be in your checked luggage and follow the TSA’s guidelines.

1. Christian

May 24, 2016 at 12:52 am

Good. People should leave the guns elsewhere before trying to board the plane. Except maybe in Denver, where the forgetfulness might be due to other things which also cause the munchies.

2. UNL04

May 24, 2016 at 1:46 am

Ridiculous. I fully licensed/permitted person accidentally bringing their gun to security is no more dangerous than a muslim doing algebra. (And those who try to bring a gun through security who aren’t fully licensed/permitted will have other legal issues.)

• woooo

May 24, 2016 at 4:54 am

i am licensed fireworks maker. i can bring fireworks on a plane without declaring? LOL

oops? LOL

3. DaninMCI

May 24, 2016 at 2:55 am

I don’t think this will end well for the TSA. This is big enough fines and prison time to have it challenged at high levels of federal court.
    Just my opinion.

• woooo

May 24, 2016 at 4:54 am

Yes perfect for making sure our skies are safe.

4. woooo

May 24, 2016 at 4:52 am

The 100k does not go to TSA. It will go the the state as it is a criminal offence. The TSA does not “fine” and let you go if you just “pay up”.

Thank you very much TSA. I feel safer knowing that people not allowed to bring guns on board but still do are fined and put to jail.

Oops I have a permit but ” I FORGOT” I had a gun with my while boarding a plane!! OOOOPSS!

LOL

They should have their license revoked as well!!

More like “i have a license, im a bad ass, i have a gun, i dont need to tell anyone, screw the laws, screw u all, screw the plnae, i am not going to delcare i have a gun, i am gonna say i forgot, what are they gonna do to me, f the world” is their mentality.

5. Responsible gun owner

May 24, 2016 at 5:28 am

How hard is it to make sure you’re not packing heat in your carryon luggage? Anyone who brings a gun to a TSA checkpoint is completely irresponsible and should also have their license revoked in addition to the fine/jail.

6. Vicente

May 24, 2016 at 5:57 am

Talking on your phone or “reaching for your waistband” can be a death sentence with US police. So by that standard, this is quite reasonable.

7. Jeff K.

May 24, 2016 at 6:21 am

The whole point was it was an accident!? So we said the TSA was allowed to turn people away who accidentally carried a gun through their carry on. Sounds like yet ANOTHER reason I hate flying and hate going through TSA and dealing with their crap. I’ll stick to road trips thank you very much.