Travel Tips

Did You Know? You Can Take Water Bottles Through Airport Security

Plastic or metal, you can take water bottles through TSA security at the airport — they just need to be empty.

TSA Water bottles are allowed through security

This might be old news to frequent travelers, but for the casual travelers this might come as a pleasant surprise.

A great solution to the current options of paying high prices for water at airport shops or going under-hydrated. Just note that your actual results may vary based on the TSA agent you get since official policy sometimes gets interpreted differently.

I would suggest taking the empty water bottle out of your luggage and placing it in one of the trays so if there is an issue with it, you’re not slowed down by them rooting through your stuff.

I’m currently testing out several collapsible water bottles to find a more space-efficient way of carting my own water.

1. TravelMore

June 13, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Shameless plug but this is what I use now. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YD70W7C

2. Jimmy

June 13, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Is it really possible there is anyone who doesn’t know this?

June 14, 2015 at 12:32 am

Yep — many of my friends and acquaintances only travel a few times a year.

• Jamie

November 14, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Actually. Yes! That would be me, lol. I rarely travel due to my disability but I’m traveling today.

3. J.J.

June 14, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Have also read that you can take through a water bottle that is frozen, since it is not a liquid. I’ve done this successfully in the past.

4. Irwin Busk

November 4, 2015 at 6:00 pm

This is not enforced uniformly, or even logically. At many airports they deny personal water bottles, and commercially sold bottled water. They stand by the “Liquids Rule”.

5. Campsie

March 5, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Tsa took my empty water bottle I planned on carrying on. Airline charges for even water on the plane now. I had to pay 5.18 in the airport for a f’ING bottle in McCarron Las vegas. It is a total scam.