Spirit Airlines

Understanding the Spirit $9 Fare Club

Is the Spirit $9 Fare Club Right for You?

One question I get asked a lot is if it’s beneficial or not for someone to join the $9 fare club. The honest answer to that is “it depends”.

Spirit 9 fare club review spirit fare club

What are your travel plans?

Spirit 9 fare club review spirit fare clubThere are certain questions I like to ask, how often do you plan on flying Spirit in the next 365 days? Do you think you’ll bring a bag or a carry-on each time? How many people are you flying with? Do you see a $9 fare for a flight on a day/time you want to go? Is buying tickets at the airport not a convenient option for you?

How much cheaper are these tickets?

When I see $9 fare club prices, they are usually $10, $15 or $20 cheaper, each way, than the normal ticket price. That’s close to the same savings you would get buying your tickets at the airport. Sometimes you might see a $9 fare price on your flight out, but not the return. Or vice versa. They’re not always available; but I suggest watching the flights for a while to see if it would benefit you.

How many people can get the $9 fares?

Spirit 9 fare club review spirit fare clubYou can wait and buy the membership the day you want to buy the tickets you see. You can get the $9 fares for other people in your party. The Spirit website states: “Enjoy the same savings for everyone on your travel itinerary. Benefits apply to you and up to 8 additional passengers on your itinerary.

Passengers must be reserved on the same booking confirmation number as the Spirit $9 fare club member in order to receive fare and/or bag savings.” When I joined I saved $50 on my tickets and the cost of membership is $59.95 so it was only a $9.95 risk for me to join. Even if I didn’t use any of the savings the rest of the year I would be no more than ten dollars worse off.

The baggage discount

If you are a Spirit $9 fare club member, you get a discount on bags (both carry-on and checked) and that is where being a $9 fare club member has saved us the most money. For the cheapest rate you must purchase your bag more than 24 hours before your flight. You get a $9 discount (each way) for being a $9 fare member for a checked bag and a carry-on bag. Once you can check-in online the price goes up $10 per bag each way, but it’s still $9 cheaper for the $9 fare member.

Spirit 9 fare club review spirit fare clubSince you have to purchase your bags for each way remember to pay for your bag(s) online for both your flight out and your return flight. One checked bag for a round-trip flight will cost $60. It’s $42 if you’re a $9 fare member. One carry-on bag costs $70 round-trip and it is $52 if you’re a $9 fare member.

If you purchase it at the ticket counter it’ll cost you $50 for a carry-on and $45 for a checked bag one-way whether you’re a $9 fare club member or not. If you don’t pay until you get to the gate it’ll cost you $100 per bag (again, this one-way) whether it’s a checked bag or a carry-on. If you brain fart and forget to purchase your bag before online check-in the day you leave, you can still get the cheaper rate for your luggage on your return flight provided you’re not flying back within 24 hours and you will still get your $9 fare rate as long as you pay for your bag online.

Do you get other discounts?

Another interesting thing I just found out is, if you’re a Spirit $9 fare club member, you won’t get a discounted price for a flight/car reservation or on a flight/hotel reservation. I’m assuming this also applies to the Flight/Car/Hotel reservation. You still can get a discount for your bags on the flight, but even if there’s a $9 fare available on the flight you’re flying on, it’s seems to be only available to those flying flight-only reservations.

How long does the membership last?

The $9 membership is good for 365 days from the day you buy it. So if you buy it Sept 8, 2014; your last day of membership will be Sept 7, 2015. You also have to cancel it; the default is automatic renewal. If you know you want to cancel it I would start trying at least a week out to make sure it gets done on time.

It really depends on your personal situation whether or not you you should join the Spirit $9 Fare Club.

For more on Spirit, check out the comprehensive guide:

Everything You Need to Know About Spirit Airlines

Spirit 9 fare club review spirit fare club

Tiff's first big vacation was a Caribbean cruise when she was six. She first started getting interested in deals when her husband showed her the tricks to getting bought off your flights back in the late 90s. She started flying nonrev when they got married; the first unusual nonrev she did was in '05 when her family flew through San Juan to get to Dallas from Philly. They have two boys, ages 11 and 7, who she usually drags along on their travels and hopes they will grow up to love traveling as much as she does.

1. Bawaney

September 24, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Kindly emails deals fare in usa by spirit airline I am $9 member but till now I have not received any deal on my email

2. Caroline

January 30, 2016 at 11:02 am

I joined the $9 Fare Club to purchase tickets for a family member and now I cannot use the discount to buy their bags!!

• Cathy

March 15, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Cancel this immediately. the $9 will turn into a $59.95 charge on your credit card then increase to $69.95 then next.
      I consider it an unscrupulous business practice by this company.

• Tiff

March 16, 2016 at 2:30 am

Spirit Airlines is very upfront that the cost of the $9 Fare Club is $59.95 to sign up. I mention this in every post when I talk about it. It’s called the $9 Fare Club because sometimes there are cheap fares you can take advantage of for $9 each way.

• Antoinette

April 14, 2016 at 7:31 am

How do you access them as a $9 fare member? It shows it available but the total cost does not reflect it..it’s full price

• Maueeen Gribbon

April 21, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Im trying to sign up for Spirit $9 deals. Please help me, I Whatcannot do it. Thanks

• Ashley Tyler

February 9, 2017 at 3:37 pm

If I sign up for the club, will It star the same day I want to purchase some flights

• Tiff

February 14, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Yes, you can wait and buy the membership the day you want to buy the tickets you see, and you can purchase them all in the same transaction and you will be able to get the $9 fares.

Membership is good for 365 days from the day you join. Renewal is automatic if you don’t cancel. They should send you a reminder E-mail that your account is due to renew about a month ahead of time. You’ll have to call if you want to cancel it. Hope this helps!

• Shelley

March 8, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Do you get anything off of seat assignment fees

• Tiff

March 9, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Not that I’ve seen. I would only pay for seats if you want guaranteed more leg room (exit row or big front seat). We checked in for our flight yesterday just a little over two hours before our flight and we still got our seats together.

3. Dean

May 18, 2016 at 1:08 pm

as Cathy said, it is competently unscrupulous. The only way to not have it automatically renewed is to cancel, effective immediately. There is no oppt out of auto renew. If you don’t, you will forget and you won’t notice the fifteen thousandth email from them where they casually mention that they’re about to charge you $70 for another year of this useless club.

• Joann

May 20, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I put a reminder on my phone calendar to cancel 2-3 weeks before just in case…

4. Brett

June 2, 2016 at 12:38 am

cancel as soon as possible. never received any discounts worth anything, and make sure you cancel in writing, because they will still try to charge your credit card. without something in writing to cancel before renewal you will be responsible to pay, and your credit card is hard pressed to do anything for you because spirit has all of the right verbiage in their favor. this is a deceptive practice and I will not fly with them again.

5. Charles

July 6, 2016 at 6:32 pm

I fly First Class (United) with my wife and for long trips but for quick trips alone I use Spirit and Spirit is AWESOME!!! I don’t take bags anyway so I get a great price on a flight. And they are on-time most of the time!

Sometimes, I even get the seats with leg-room randomly.

All of these people are severely ungrateful. I have flown from Houston to Chicago for less than $50 dollars which is the price for a cab home in Houston.

I had the $9 fare club and it expired about a year ago and I am signing up for it today which is why I was reading this page.

6. Leon Baumgarten

September 21, 2016 at 12:55 am

I am confused by all these paragraphs. I need help. I have a reservation on spirit for Friday, sept 23 flight from PHL to LAS at 7:35 pm. I want join the $9 fare club to save money on checking 1 bag on Friday. Last week I paid $50 to check 1 bag on my spirit flight from LAS to PHL. Please tell me if I join how much it will cost to join and check my 1 bag on spirit on Friday evening flight to LAS.

7. Sandra prince

November 1, 2016 at 1:56 pm

My husband signed up for $9 club. My son and I are planning a trip. Does my husband need to fly too in order to get the cheaper flight or can he just purchase them for us?

• Priscila estela

November 3, 2016 at 3:47 am

i have the same question!

• Tiff

November 3, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Yes, the $9 Club Fare member must be on the ticket to get the discount. For the discounted ticket or the bags. If the member flies, they can add up to 8 people using their discount. From Spirit’s website:

“Passengers must be reserved on the same booking confirmation number as the $9 fare club member in order to receive membership benefits.”

Since I tended to fly with our kids by myself on Spirit more often than my husband does, I was the $9 fare club member.

Hope this helps!

8. Eric

November 5, 2016 at 11:51 am

The $9 bare fare is fraud. You won’t find out it is $59.95 until you get your credit card bill and you have to call your credit card company to remove the unapproved charge.

• Tiff

November 20, 2016 at 4:33 pm

I’m surprised that so many people seem to miss the price. Spirit says it on their website and I mention it in this blog post. On the Spirit website, when you sign up it says it in large print right above the place where you fill in your membership information:

$9 Fare Club membership enrollment is only $59.95

There is the smaller print below where it says the re-enrollment fee is $69.95, I can see why that one may be easy to miss.

9. Dung T Pham

November 20, 2016 at 2:43 am

The $9 fare membership is a year charge only correct? Unless you cancel? It is not a monthly charge correct?Can someone please explain the $20 charge after you are billed the annual fee.

• Tiff

November 20, 2016 at 4:36 pm

It is an annual fee, not a monthly fee. I don’t know why you got charged an additional $20, I would call or E-mail Spirit about that. The sign-up fee is $59.95 for the year, then you will be automatically charged a renewal fee of $69.95 unless you cancel before the next year starts. I usually receive an E-mail from Spirit reminding me about this approximately a month before my membership is set to renew. Good luck!

10. Alisha

December 18, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Is there a way for me to see how low a specific fare will be before joining the club? I would like to see the change in price to see if it will be worth it. We don’t fly too often, but might would fly more if the fares were significantly lower.

• Tiff

February 13, 2017 at 4:40 pm

The fares are online for anyone to see. So if you don’t see one there isn’t one for that flight/day you’re looking at. Spirit’s prices change quickly so even if something doesn’t have a $9 fare one day it always could the next day.

The time I initially signed up was to take advantage of a $9 fare so you can purchase the membership the same day you get your tickets. Hope this helps!

11. JARED

December 31, 2016 at 3:08 pm

I WAS GOING TO BOOK A FLIGHT YESTERDAY SO I PURCHASED $9 FARE CLUB, I’VE FLOWN WITH SPIRIT MAY TIMES AND WILL MANY MORE SO I FIGURED WHY NOT, IT PUT MY FLIGHT UNDER $50. BUT, I DIDN’T BOOK IT YESTERDAY AND NOW TODAY MY $9 FARE PRICE HAS DISAPPEARED FROM EVER POSSIBLE BOOKING OPTION THROUGH THE LOADED DATES. SO ARE THE DISCOUNT AND BENEFITS BASED ON THE DAY OF BOOKING AND NOT DATES OF TRAVEL?(THEY DON’T SPECIFY THIS SHIT ANYWHERE, I’VE BEEN LOOKING ALL MORNING) ALMOST EVERY TIME I’VE BOOKED HERE BEFORE I PURCHASED $9 FARE CLUB, IT WAS AVAILABLE THEN. NOW THAT I HAVE PURCHASED IT, IT DOESN’T SHOW UP,

12. Jennifer

January 26, 2017 at 12:55 am

Last year I did some researching about purchasing tickets directly at the airport, decided to give it a try and it was Awesome! Purchased round trip tickets to Orlando for a family of 4 and saved $143 on top of an already low fare. Spirit fares were way cheaper than other airlines even after purchasing two checked bags roundtrip. Flights were on time and no complaints! Purchasing direct from airport was a breeze (o’hare) , had husband drop me off and circle while i ran in to buy tickets , literally walked right up to counter with the flights i wanted written down, told the agent what i wanted paid and left, probably took 20 minutes if that! Wont do it any other way from now on! Just joined the $9 fare club and my question is can I buy $9 published fare at the airport? and still save on the passenger utility fee?

• Tiff

February 3, 2017 at 5:19 am

Unfortunately not. I asked this years ago and the $9 fare is only good online, you can’t use it when you purchase tickets at the airport or over the phone. I have bought tickets one-way using $9 fares and the other way at the airport if it was cheaper that way. I kept the $9 fare membership for several years even if I never purchased a $9 fare because with the savings in bags I usually at least broke even, but with the new rules for military getting free bags I let my membership expire.

13. Pauline

February 11, 2017 at 2:33 pm

I had never heard of the $9 club – needed to learn about it as I was looking for flights from Newark to Orlando – and found this blog. I just signed up and saved $400 between the flights, checked bags and assigned seats. Flights were huge savings. I thought they were very transparent on the $59.95 price and the auto renewal. I am sure I will forget to cancel the subscription but if this flight goes well we will probably use them again anyway. It will be interesting to see how available the $9 club fares are – maybe I was just lucky this time. Blog was very helpful thanks for your review.

• Tiff

February 13, 2017 at 4:38 pm

I’m glad it helped! Sometimes you can get a great deal on $9 club fares, sometimes it’s only a discount of $10. It’s a case of catching a good deal at the right time. But even a $10 discount does offset the “passenger usage fee”, especially once you add in the newer discount on purchasing bags the same time you purchase your ticket online you could easily break even buying online vs. at the airport. Since military gets bags for free now we let our $9 membership expire, but if we didn’t have that I’d still use it for the savings in bag fees.

14. Nicole

March 11, 2017 at 6:02 am

I’m going to be flying in the next couple of weeks just wanted to know how much would I have to pay for my bags if I join the club

• Nicole

March 11, 2017 at 6:08 am

Hi I’m thinking about joining the $9 Club just wanted to know how would it work for my bags and do they have a general price

15. Ethiopian KIng

March 15, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Hey , What is the $9 fare membership trial for only $19.95 ? how do you apply for that ? I wanne try it before I sign up for the $69.95