DCA Gets 6500 Noise Complaints From One Person, Hilton Considering Hostels & a New Spider in Australia
Crazy day at work but here are some of the headlines that entertained me during the breaks
- Are you frustrated by the noise from low-flying planes? You’ve got nothing on the person who filed 6500 noise complaints for DCA in 2015, 75% of all complaints that year. A change in flight patterns as well as reduced curfew hours might be to blame. (h/t JohnnyJet)
- Hilton might soon have a line of hostel-like hotels to capture more of the millenial market. They are apparently considering a “new brand that focuses on small, cheap hotels in big cities.”It seems like Starwood already has something like this with Aloft, which very much reminds me of hostels, though they’re not just in big cities and often aren’t cheap. I’ll be interested to see how this plays out. Millenials do have more spending power, but how are they wanting to spend it? Would they prefer to stay at a chain if it was more afordable, or are they inclined towards hostels and better options like AirBnB and Couchsurfing because of the experience as much as the cost savings?
- My impression of visiting the Natural Science museum in Sydney is that Australia is great except for everything that wants to kill you. And scientists have discovered a new spider there, fortunately not lethal to humans, and named it Brian. The small but leggy dolomedes briangreenei can preys on toads and small fish. As if I needed one more reason to be afraid of the water. 🙂
- The first solar airport is no longer paying for electricity.
- The first airport to officially be called an airport is up for sale again. But despite their budget woes, Atlantic City officials still want to take people’s homes.
Full Disclosure: I may receive affiliate credit from links in this post or on this site which will help fund my travels. Thank you for your support!