When I decided to spend a few days in Chiang Mai last February, I asked my friends at Wanderrlust for dining recommendations. Not only do we share the same love of interesting food and spice levels (more=better), they had taken a year off to travel all over Southeast Asia and beyond (mostly on scooters) and had spent quite a bit of time in Chiang Mai.
Chiang Mai is definitely a foodie paradise, but as luck had it, I wound up without much free time or hunger (thanks to the city’s haze of wood smoke), so I wasn’t able to try out many places. Sharing in case anyone else can!
🍴 Lamduon Fahrm Kaosoi for Khao Soi, also try their Nam phrik with veggies and pork rinds
🍴 Good Morning Chiang Mai if you need a relaxing and nice place to do work and have a coffee. Blue Diamond is great for work too, and their breakfast is awesome! We also like Cafe de ThaanAoan.
🍴 We’s Restaurant for great penang curry and also khao soi
🍴 Huen Phen for an amazing northern Thai dinner, particulary the gaeng hang lay, northern pork curry
🍴 Kho Jao Market for the honey roast chicken stall (on the far left) and the som tam stall (just outside the market)
🍴 Warorot market for Chiang Mai sausage and fermented pork sausage
🍴 SP Chicken for … seriously delicious grilled chicken
🍴 Dash Teak House for something a little more upscale but fun –the fried fish with cilantro sauce is amazing
🍴 Tacos Bell street food cart for Thai-inspired tacos
And if you haven’t visited Wanderrlust.com before, it’s definitely worth it for the fantastic photography as much as the stories!
More from this trip
- Planning & Itinerary
- Applying for an India Tourist Visa
- Part 1: What NOT to Do Planning a Trip to India
- Airport Overnight at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel
- Etihad First Class Check In & Wingtips Lounge JFK
- Etihad First Class on Jet Airways: JFK-AUH
- Etihad Abu Dhabi Lounge Terminal 1
- Etihad Business Class Abu Dhabi-Chennai
- Hotel Review: Park Hyatt Chennai
- An Amazing Tour of South Indian Food
- I Never Expected To Make This Travel Mistake
- Chennai Airport Lounge & Thai Airways Business Class Chennai-Chiang Mai
- Visiting Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai’s Temple on a Mountain